Thursday, October 24, 2019

Ok Parents and Campers - loving how many of you are answering blog tickets!  Great work everyone!  Parents - your support is HUGELY appreciated!  Together we are going to help your child reach their full potential in grade three this year!

CORRECTION:  Mass is NEXT FRIDAY.  Not tomorrow. Sorry for the confusion.

Language Quiz - Tomorrow's language quiz will be focused on writing sentences using conjunctions for better sentence fluency.  Students will need to use a bank of conjunctions to combine shorter sentences.

Ex. 
Rewrite each sentence using the given conjunctions.

I am Mrs. Wilson.  I teach grade 3.  I teach at St. Chris.   (and)
I am Mrs. Wilson, and I teach grade 3 at St. Chris.

I like dogs.  I like cats.  I don't like lizards.     (and, but)
I like dogs and cats, but I don't like lizards.

My favourite pizza toppings are banana peppers.  I love spicy foods.   (because)
My favourite pizza toppings are banana peppers, because I love spicy food!

I never have money on me.  I pay with my debit card.    (so)
I never have any money on me, so I pay with my debit card.

Sometimes I get impatient.  I get impatient waiting for the pizza to arrive.   (when)
Sometimes I get impatient when waiting for the pizza to arrive.



I will send home the yellow language duo tangs for review.

MATH:  We are working on a brief unit on Patterns in the hundreds chart, on number lines and in the calendar and how to describe patterns.   We will have a short assessment next week.

SOCIAL STUDIES:  We just began our first unit in Social Studies on HERITAGE AND IDENTITY: COMMUNITIES IN CANADA, 1780–1850.

OVERALL EXPECTATIONS  By the end of Grade 3, students will:

  • Application; Compare ways of life among some specific groups in Canada around the beginning of the nineteenth century, and describe some of the changes between that era and the present day (FOCUS ON: Continuity and Change; Perspective) 
  • Inquiry: use the social studies inquiry process to investigate some of the major challenges that different groups and communities faced in Canada from around 1780 to 1850, and key measures taken to address these challenges (FOCUS ON: Significance; Cause and Consequence) 
  • Understanding Context: identify some of the communities in Canada around the beginning of the nineteenth century, and describe their relationships to the land and to each other (FOCUS ON: Interrelationships)
It's actually a very FUN unit filled with CRAFTIVITIES!  
Yes,  craft +  activities = CRAFTIVITIES!


That's all for now!

Counsellor Wilson

SECRET QUESTION:  Which camper is #20?