Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Hello Parents and Campers! 
This is EXACTLY how I felt when I saw how many parents have already signed up to follow my blog!  That means most of you are reading my blog and that makes me a VERY happy counsellor!!  Thank you, I look forward to our first BLOG DRAW winner this Friday! (Every week, I draw one ticket earned from answering the secret question. Students can earn up to 3 or 4 tickets some weeks depending on how many secret questions I ask, so keep reading!)  I hope you find this means of communication helpful and informative!

     Together as a camp, we brainstormed and came up with a list of success criteria that would make for a great start to grade 3.  I told my campers that I would be sending home a mini progress report after the first week of school based on this co-created criteria.  Expect to see it early next week to read, review, sign and return to school.  I have students keep all signed assessments / quizzes / tests / assignments in a portfolio binder that is kept here at school throughout the year.  They will be returned to you at the end of each term.

TAKE HOME READING POUCH:



      This week,  I will be sending home a black Take Home Reading Pouch.  It should contain 2 books from my personal classroom library along with a reading log folder.  Your child is expected to read for 15-20 minutes every night from these books, as they are levelled to suit your child's current independent reading level, however, if you have other books at home, of course, that is also acceptable.  (I will be assessing reading levels this month to determine your child's appropriate reading level).  Please fill out the form after each reading session and sign.  This will be very important for our Reading Challenge! More info to come shortly!  Your child knows to return the books for exchange anytime they are ready for new ones. Please ensure that your child takes extra special care of my books throughout the year! Thank you!


This week, I am determining each camper's first 10 WOW words (Words of the Week) for their first spelling test which will take place next Friday.  I begin with the 0-100 sight word list and move up as far as possible until your child has made 10 errors in spelling. Those ten words will be your child's WOW words for the week.  After, they move on to the next 10 words provided all words were spelling correctly.  Any misspelled words will be repeated on the following week's test and written at the back of the speller 10x.  Monday next week, all campers will receive their 10 words in the agenda. Every student will have their own unique 10 words to review/learn. Please have your child review during the week.  Spelling review and daily reading will not be written down as homework in your child's agenda, however, it is a grade 3 expectation on daily basis.

How to Review Spelling:

Monday:  Take a practise test and see which words you need to review.  Write each word.  Write misspelled words 10x each. 

Tuesday Practise test of incorrect words from Monday.  Write each misspelled word 10x each.

Wednesday
: Practise test of all words. Write misspelled words  10x each.

ThursdayPractise test of all words.  Write misspelled words 10x each.



     Practise anytime, anywhere - during commercials on TV, when driving in the car, or whenever you get a few spare minutes.  It all helps! Spelling is assessed in your child's everyday writing, not on these weekly tests.  However, those who manage to learn their spelling words usually write them correctly in their daily writing!

Ok, that's about all for now...I'm super excited about getting to know your child! This truly is a great group of campers!  Also, a BIG SHOUT OUT  to all of you parents who completed your homework EARLY by returning all of the forms I gave you!

Great start parents and campers!

Counsellor Wilson




SECRET QUESTION:  What game did we play on our campfire carpet to get to know eachother?